Saint Alphonsus Parish School is an accredited Catholic School that welcomes families of all backgrounds. Founded in Ballard in 1907, the school provides an excellent education from preschool through eighth grade by developing the whole student in a caring environment enriched by the faith of the Church and commitment of families.
Philosophy and Goals
St. Alphonsus Parish School strives to create a Catholic educational community where teachers, students, and parents/guardians in a spirit of love share human knowledge, enlightened and enlivened by faith. The goals of the school flow from the fundamental understanding that this is a Catholic educational community. Because it is Catholic, St. Alphonsus Parish School:
- incorporates the vision of faith into education
- offers personal experiences in Catholic living through liturgy, sacramental life, prayer, guidance and example, as well as in service
- provides association with families and professionally qualified faculty who have a conscious and deliberate Christian outlook on life and the world
- develops religious understanding and provides opportunities for personal commitment to religious values
- fosters a Christian understanding of our mutual responsibilities to each other.
In addition, because it is an educational institution, St. Alphonsus Parish School:
- develops the basic skills, especially in the area of communication (reading, writing, speaking) and in quantitative thinking
- prepares the student for further education in high school
- helps each student develop a positive attitude toward lifelong education
- guides the student toward the spirit of freedom which recognizes self-discipline and personal responsibility
- helps instill a sense of responsibility to the community and the need for service to it.
Finally, because it is a community, St. Alphonsus Parish School has both local school community and larger community goals which:
- encourage the faculty, parents/guardians, and students to a achieve a mutual awareness of what it means to be members of a Christian community
- provide communal religious activities and prepares students for participation in parish life
- focus attention on the personal growth of each member of the community as a mutual concern
- fulfill a secular educational function which society has declared is essential
- provide opportunities and experiences which emphasize the heritage, the responsibilities, and the privileges of American citizenship
- provide an excellent alternative to the public school system which allows for the place of religion in formal education.
Schoolwide Learning Expectations
The Schoolwide Learning Expectations (SLEs) are skills and qualities a student of St. Alphonsus will possess when he and she graduates. Teachers incorporate these SLEs into their lesson plans, instilling in their students what it means to be a St. Alphonsus Parish School graduate.
A Graduate of St. Alphonsus Parish School will be:
1. an active faith-filled person who:
a. prays formally and spontaneously.
b. exhibits basic knowledge of the Catholic Church teachings.
c. participates reverently in the sacramental life of the Church.
d. contributes time, talent, and treasure to the community through Christian service.
2. a lifelong learner who:
a. demonstrates critical and analytical skills.
b. demonstrates creative problem solving skills.
c. meets or exceeds grade level expectations in all disciplines.
d. creates and evaluates standards for himself/herself in all disciplines.
3. a person of integrity who:
a. demonstrates accountability for personal behavior.
b. acts honestly and fairly.
c. chooses to behave in a right and just manner.
4. a respectful person who:
a. treats people of all cultures and faith traditions with dignity and kindness.
b. practices stewardship of all of God’s creation.
c. practices conflict resolution through active listening, clear communication and empathy.